Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 3 - New Weight Watchers Group

Today is Day 3 and I accomplished one of my week goals by finding and attending a Weight Watchers meeting. This was a big deal for me and I'm glad I did it!

I weighed in at 244.4, which matched my home scale. That's a relief to me - knowing my home scale is reliable.  Crazy thing?

That's a loss of 1.6 lbs! 
Since Sunday!

That was enough to give me more fuel to complete the week tracking!

Now I'm faced with the dilema of reporting my weekly Weigh-In on here on Sundays, which is when I started the Points Plus program, or on Tuesdays which is the day of my WW meeting. Any thoughts on this?

I tracked today and dipped into my Weekly Points. I'm glad Cheryl  recently blogged and tweeted about not feeling guilty about using Weekly Allowance points. My new WW leader talked about this tonight as well and stressed that we not feel guilty using them - that's what they are there for!

I drank my water and I ate breakfast!! :)

I felt full most of the day but I'm noticing something... Apples do NOT satisfy hunger/mid-day-snack needs.. In fact, I'm starting to feel like apples trigger more hunger in me. Has anyone else felt this? Citrus, bananas, grapes and others don't make my stomach growl like apples do after I eat them... weird, huh?

I'm on Day 3 of working towards my 7 Day Chip and it's getting harder not to mindlessly and purposely grace when I'm not hungry at night.  It's getting harder to NOT binge. I walked into and out of the kitchen at least four times in the last hour or so. I thought of having a bowl of cereal, a mug of hot cocoa, an extra bag of popcorn, more of the WW mini-bars... Again, very difficult.

Nothing like facing this battle in the face when you realize it'd be easier to go to sleep than deal with late-night binge-temptations.

I loved and needed to read all the comments this morning about owning up to fear, dealing with doubts, etc. Thank you to everyone who posted. I'm still letting them marinate in my brain before responding to you personally.

Last thing:
I ate lunch ALONE today in a restaurant. It was a simple soup/salad joint but still - I can't believe I did it. And it made me think about something... It's so strange and sad that I deal with shame of eating in public, when I'm eating perfectly healthy food and accurate portion sizes. My lunch was healthier than most of the thin people there... but I recognized this shame that has been there for years that I need to vocalize or journal out...

It's a shame that feels like people are probably thinking I shouldn't be eating... or that I don't deserve to eat because I'm already obese... Like when I take a bite of my salad I look like the huge, fat girl shoveling food down her face...

I know this is a lie but it's crazy how deep fear and shame can take you... and it's crazier to realize that I have felt this way for years when eating in public, especially with thin friends or now- alone.

Still, I did it. I sat there and enjoyed my healthy lunch, looking out at the beautiful North Texas outdoors, and didn't cave in. I ate my meal and walked out with my head held high and a smile on my face. Inside I may have been raging a war against fear, but outwardly I harnessed it and LIVED and ENJOYED life.

Special thanks again to my new friend Brad (who I'm starting to see more like an online mentor on this journey) for reminding me the importance of PLANNING.  He mentioned that variety is a key to success.  He's right. I thought about how I've gotten bored/sick/tired of other diets that kept me eating the same foods daily... He even gave me an idea for breakfast tomorrow! I need more ideas on cooking breakfast... and with cooking for a single person. I grew up cooking for a huge family... so it's easy to still do the same. But if I freeze portions, etc, I know myself: I'll be eating the same meal 6x in a week... And that's not key to success. I'm going to get tired of eating the same thing and give up, feeling deprived.

Hmmm... lots to think about.

Still - day 3 is ending. I can't believe I'm on day 3... It's a feat in intself!!!  At the same time there are others like THIS AMAZING LADY that is celebrating her one year blogging/weight-loss. I went back to her first entries and found myself in so many of her emotions, thoughts and entries... then went to her current ones and felt fueled for my future. Congratulations again, Jewlia. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

4 comments:

  1. :D Great job. DAy #3! Eating a healthy lunch alone! Going to a WW meeting. :D WAhoo.

    If it were me, I'd post the WW weight. It's an independent weight and recorded. You don't have to wonder if your scale was weird. Just post what WW says you weigh--simple.

    However, do whatever feel right to you. It doesn't matter, sweet pea. :)

    Re; fruit. Funny you should bring this up. Just last evening, I binged on bananas. SIX giant bananas, one right after the other. I had done well until that first banana. I realized that bananas often give me trouble.

    I don't have trouble with apples, but I use them as a dessert. I don't think they'd do much for me as a hunger-buster.

    again--Great job.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job today! Learning to eat alone is very important to healthy eating, I think.

    I'm so proud of you for getting to a WW meeting. That is a HUGE step.

    Also, I'm from North Texas! Small world! I grew up in Flower Mound, but reside in Houston now. Small world :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Bitchcakes aka Sheryl!! She's been a huge inspiration and motivation for me for about 3 years now. She helps me push myself w/ my exercise and not only reinforces my healthy thoughts regarding food addiction but challenges my thinking as well. I was actually going to recommend you start reading her blog.

    and HECK Yeah! Eat those WPA's and your AP's if you're hungry. I do and it's never impeded my weight loss or maintenance. If you are hungry chances are your body needs the fuel and it's all taken into account by Weight Watchers.

    Breakfast ideas...I'm stumped. I don't cook (Big D takes care of all that for me *spoiled*)I do love greek yogurt (plain 0%) 3P+ for a 1c serving and very filling w/ all that protein.I don't know how many P+ for an individual serving yet because I haven't got one since the switch to Points Plus. I also make a lot of oatmeal or 5 grain hot cereal (3p+), smoothies made w/ frozen (no sugar added) fruit, greek yogurt (or all natural protein powder) and truvia. I also enjoy cottage cheese w/ pumpkin plus cinnamon and a tbs of raisins or banana and some cinnamon.

    If you want some cooking meal ideas check out Roni's
    Green Lite Bites If you haven't read her blog she's incredibly inspirational as well.

    Sounds like you are doing great! So happy for you that you found a meeting you like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Deb! It was a crazy day yesterday... Looking back today really makes me see God's grace & strength through the whole thing because though they seem small, they are huge for me. I still remember you first post on my blog that talked about how the enemy uses this against our lives and it's true - it's one of his biggest tools against me in my ministry/work. It's so sad and frustrating... BUT to God be the victory and HIm alone! :)

    @May - I wrote on your blog! :)

    @Vi - I was at the grocery store and saw the Greek yogurt and thought of getting it but was afraid I wouldn't like it. Do you get the regular flavor or? I've been following Sheryl for about a year now - can you believe it? I've been living vicariously through women like Deb, Sheryl and Kenzand other bloggers... wishing it was me who was finding the freedom from the lbs, etc... So yeah.. she's awesome. So grateful for her! AND YOU! You've been SO welcoming to me since I started.. thanks. It means a lot - every tweet and comment. You rock!

    ReplyDelete